Distinguished Teaching Awards
Started in 2014, the Distinguished Teaching Award (DTA) is a highly competitive award granted by Graduate Division that recognizes exceptional teaching demonstrated by a graduate student as a Teaching Assistant or Associate-In. Based on the strength of nomination letters and the nominee’s student teaching evaluations, a committee appointed by Graduate Division awards 2-3 DTAs annually. DTA Award recipients are recognized during the annual Graduate Division Excellence in Teaching Banquet held in the Spring term and receive a monetary prize. Please Note: Due to the current campus disruption the Excellence in Teaching Banquet will not be held in Spring 2020, but monetary prizes will still be awarded.
The UCR Graduate Division invites nominations from faculty, graduate peers, and undergraduate students wanting to honor a graduate student teacher who demonstrated effective, impactful, or innovative approaches to teaching in the classroom over the past year.
Nominations are now closed for 2019-2020. Check back in Spring of 2021 for next year's nomination guidelines.
Nominees must have been enrolled graduate students that held a teaching assistant or associate-in position during Spring 2019, Fall 2019, and/or Winter 2020 Quarter(s). Summer term appointments are not eligible for consideration of this award.
A nominee may receive letters of nomination from any of the following groups:
- Faculty supervisors who have knowledge of the graduate student’s teaching
- Graduate student peers who have knowledge of the graduate student’s teaching
- Undergraduate students who have taken a class with the graduate student in Spring 2019, Fall 2019, and/or Winter 2020 Quarter(s)
Letters of nomination should include the following information:
- The nominee’s full name
- The nominator’s name and association with nominee (e.g., course instructor, graduate student peer, student)
- The course(s) and quarter(s) in which you have observed, participated in, or worked with the nominee (e.g., Biology 5A, Winter 2016)