When leading a discussion section, it's important to remember that this is often the students' only chance to engage interactively with that week's course materials. Here are some tips on how you can support them in doing that:
- Are Discussion Sections Actually Useful?
- This article reviews the purpose and challenges of discussion sections and strategies for facilitating them
- Active Learning Techniques
- This website provides a list fo 29 active learning techniques/activities for the college/university classroom
- This article discusses how to effectively lead discussions in an online forum
- The First Five Minutes
- This article covers four quick ways to shift students' attention to course content at the beginning of class
- The Last Five Minutes
- This article discusses how you can make the best use of the final five minutes of class
- This document covers tips and strategies for fostering motivation, promoting active learning, building community, and ensuring that students are appropriately challenged
It is also helpful to know what aspects of your teaching are highlighted in the evaluations the students will be asked to submit at the end of the term.